If the Employer Finds Something Negative in Your Background 

  • the name, address, and phone number of the company that supplied the criminal history or public records report;
  • that the company that provided the information didn’t make the decision to take the adverse action and can’t give you specific reasons for it; and
  • that you have the right to dispute the accuracy and completeness of any information in the report, and to an additional free report from the company that supplied it, if you ask for it within 60 days of the employer’s decision not to hire or retain you.
    The company that provided the employer with negative information from a criminal history or other public records has certain obligations: it has to tell you that it provided the information and it has to take certain steps to make sure the information is accurate.

Some employers might say not to apply if you have a criminal record. That could be discrimination. If that happens to you, contact the EEOC at eeoc.gov or at 1-800-669-4000. Find information on: 

  • arrest and conviction records in employment decisions (eeoc.gov/laws/guidance/qa_arrest_ conviction.cfm)
  • arrest and conviction records as an automatic bar to all employment (csgjusticecenter.org/ wp content/uploads/2012/11/Reentry_Council_ Mythbuster_Employment.pdf)

For information on Serving Legal Papers visit www.undisputedlegal.com.  Open Monday – Friday 8am-8pm.  “When you want it done right the first time” contact undisputedlegal.com