Contempt of court. The person to whom support is due or the government can ask a court to hold the obligor in contempt of court for willful failure to pay support. If found guilty of contempt of court, the obligor can be jailed, fined, or both. 

Collection agencies. Some collection agencies are willing to help collect past-due support, just as they collect past-due commercial debts. Collection agencies usually charge a portion of the amount collected. 

Revocation of licenses. About twenty states will revoke the driver’s license or professional licenses of persons who have not paid child support. 

Interstate collections. In addition to the remedies lust listed, state and federal statutes are available to facilitate enforcement of support orders when the obligor and the person to whom support is due live in different states. State and federal prosecutors can help with interstate collections. 

For information on serving legal papers visit  Open Monday – Friday 8am-8pm.  “When you want it done right the first time” contact

This entry was posted in Child Support and tagged on by .


The information contained herein has been prepared in compliance with Section 107 of the Copyright Act. Fair use is a legal doctrine that promotes freedom of expression by permitting the unlicensed use of copyright-protected works. The articles/Images contained herein serve as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, educational, and research-as examples of activities that qualify as fair use. Undisputed Legal Inc. is a Process Service Agency and “Not A Law Firm” therefore the articles/images contained herein are for educational purposes only, and not intended as legal advice.