Money Judgement

Collecting a Money Judgment In New Jersey

If money is owed you because you have been awarded a judgment in the Special Civil Part, you are a judgment creditor. You should contact the person who owes you the money (the judgment debtor) to discuss payment. Payments sometimes are made on the day of the court hearing or over time. If you do not receive the money that is owed you, there are several ways the court can help you collect it.

Although the court will try to help you collect the money owed to you, it cannot guarantee your debt will be paid. The forms for the different methods of collection outlined in this brochure are available in any New Jersey Special Civil Part Office. A complaint packet and an answer packet for self-represented litigants, with accompanying instructions, is available in any New Jersey Special Civil Part Office and is available at


If you won a Judgement you are now a Creditor and the losing side is a Debtor. The Debtor owes money to the Creditor and should pay the money due. But, collecting a judgment may not be easy. To begin collecting a judgment, the Creditor should contact the Debtor or Debtor’s attorney, if there is one, and ask the Debtor to pay. If the Debtor doesn’t pay, the Creditor has to find the Debtor’s money. The Court does not do this for you. Some of this information you can find out by making some phone calls or trips to government offices.

Try to find the Debtor’s bank: you or someone you know may have paid the Debtor with a check. If so, look on the back of the canceled check for the bank’s information.

Try to find out if the Debtor has a car: contact the New York Department of Motor Vehicles and find out the car model, year, license plate number and address where the car is registered.