How And When To Modify Your Child Support

The most common standard for modification of child support is a substantial change in circumstances. That usually refers to a change in income of the parent who is supposed to be paying support. If the parent who is obliged to pay support suffers a loss of income, that could be a basis for reducing support; conversely, if the parent’s income increases, that could increase support. 

Changes in circumstances of the child also can be a reason for modifying support. If the child has significant new expenses, such as orthodonture, special classes, or health needs that are not covered by insurance, that can be a reason for increasing support. 

Significant changes in the income of the parent seeking support also can be a basis for modification. If the custodial parent’s income drops (particularly through no fault of the custodial parent), that might be a basis for increasing support. If the custodial parent’s income increases, that might be a basis for reducing support from the noncustodial parent. 

In some states, support orders may be reviewed every few years to set support consistent with the parents’ current income and the support guidelines. If the parent who is supposed to pay support has a major drop in income (such as through loss of a job) and the income is not likely to be replaced soon, the parent should promptly go to court to seek a modification of child support. 

The obligation to pay support at the designated amount continues until a court orders otherwise. A court’s order for child support generally is effective for future support payments only. Normally, a court cannot retroactively modify support payments, even if the parent who was supposed to pay had a good reason for not making full payments. 

When a parent loses a job or experiences a financial setback, one of the last things the parent may want to do is incur more expenses by hiring an attorney to reduce support. But if the parent has a good reason to reduce support, the money is well spent since otherwise, the support obligation will continue at the original amount. The meter on the cab runs at the same rate, so to speak. As an alternative to an attorney, if the local court is relatively user-friendly, the party seeking to change support might try to represent himself or herself.  

For information on serving legal papers, click here or call (800) 774-6922. Representatives are available Monday-Friday 8 am – 8 pm EST.  If you found this article helpful, please consider donating.  Thank you for following our blog, A space dedicated to bringing you news on breaking legal developments, interesting articles for law professionals, and educational material for all. We hope that you enjoy your time on our blog and revisit us!  We also invite you to check out our Frequently Asked Questions About Process Servers by clicking here.

This entry was posted in Child Support on by .


The information contained herein has been prepared in compliance with Section 107 of the Copyright Act. Fair use is a legal doctrine that promotes freedom of expression by permitting the unlicensed use of copyright-protected works. The articles/Images contained herein serve as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, educational, and research-as examples of activities that qualify as fair use. Undisputed Legal Inc. is a Process Service Agency and “Not A Law Firm” therefore the articles/images contained herein are for educational purposes only, and not intended as legal advice.