Small Claims Court
Small claims are lawsuits for $3,000 or less. Renters can file for a return of a security deposit of $5,000 or less in small claims court.
Examples of small claims:
- A person or company failed to comply with a written or oral contract.
- Your car was damaged in an accident.
- You paid money as a down payment and want it returned .
- Your property was damaged or lost.
- You bought a product that doesn’t work.
- Work you paid for was faulty or not completed.
- You want to be paid for work you did.
- Someone wrote you a bad check.
- You gave a landlord a security deposit that was not returned. NOTE: The limit for security deposit returns is $5,000 in small claims court.