Posts tagged with "California Process Service"


Disclaimer: Due to the rapidly changing nature of the law, there will be times when the material on this site will not be current. It is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. It should not be considered comprehensive or exhaustive and is not a substitute for advice from your attorney. We make no express or implied warranty as to the material’s accuracy, reliability, completeness, timeliness or appropriateness for a particular purpose, including applicability to your jurisdiction or circumstances. We assume no liability whatsoever for any direct, indirect or consequential damages resulting from your reliance on this material; you do so at your own risk. Seek the advice of an attorney. Comments, corrections or suggestions should be directed to  The information listed below may have been amended. For updated process serving legislation, please visit the California Judiciary and Courts web site.

Does a process server have to be licensed in California?

You can get California Process Servers License. If you don’t have your license, you must be registered and bonded. Read more below.

California Process Server Licensing Requirements

If an individual serves more than 10 papers a year they are required to be registered in the county they serve in. Registration is statewide and applicants must be a resident of the State of California for one year immediately preceding filing. There is no testing, or education required. Every applicant is required to post a $2,000 bond or cash deposit. Licensed private investigators are exempt from the registration requirement, but are likely not permitted to serve bank levies and similar documents without being registered per the statutory language requiring that a registered process server serve those documents. [California Business and Professions Code §22350 and §22353] Continue reading