Drafting the Complaint
You start a lawsuit by filing a complaint. In some circumstances, you file a petition or a motion.
The court has several complaint forms that you may use in drafting your complaint. The forms are available online and at the Pro Se Intake Unit. You may also write your own complaint without using a court form.
All complaints must be in English on 8-1/2” x 11” paper and include:
- a caption with the court’s name,
- the title “COMPLAINT” next to the caption,
- a statement of jurisdiction,
- claims in numbered paragraphs, each limited as far as practicable to a single set of facts,
- the relief sought,
- the words “JURY TRIAL DEMANDED” if you want the case decided by a jury at trial,
- your signature, address, e-mail address, and telephone number.