Small Claims Court, often referred to as the “People’s Court,” is a place to get a relatively quick and simple resolution of a civil (not criminal) dispute without the need for a lawyer. The claim cannot exceed $5,000 and must be for money only (not, for example, to force someone to fix a damaged item or for pain and suffering).
These are typical types of Small Claims Court cases:
• Breach of a contract, lease, warranty, or agreement
• Bounced or stopped check
• Loss of luggage, property, time from work, or use of property
• Damage to an automobile, other personal property, real property
• Failure to provide proper repairs, services, merchandise
• Failure to pay for services rendered, salary, rent, for goods sold and delivered
• Failure to return security, property, a deposit, or money loaned
For information on serving legal papers, click here or call (800) 774-6922. Representatives are available Monday-Friday 8 am – 8 pm EST. If you found this article helpful, please consider donating. Thank you for following our blog, A space dedicated to bringing you news on breaking legal developments, interesting articles for law professionals, and educational material for all. We hope that you enjoy your time on our blog and revisit us! We also invite you to check out our Frequently Asked Questions About Process Servers by clicking here.