When do you obtain a Criminal Court Order of Protection?

If your relationship with the abuser does not allow you to file a Family Court petition, you must seek relief in the Criminal Court. The procedure for obtaining an order of protection in a Criminal Court is completely different than in Family Court. In Criminal Court, the District Attorney, based on an arrest, must bring a criminal case against your abuser for you to obtain an order of protection. The order will be temporary, and you will receive it in the mail. If your abuser is convicted of a criminal offense against you, the temporary order of protection can be made “permanent.” For more information about a Criminal Court order of protection, contact the Westchester County Domestic Violence & Child Abuse Bureau or Attorney’s Office at (914) 995-3000. 

For information on serving legal papers, click here or call (800) 774-6922. Representatives are available Monday-Friday 8 am – 8 pm EST.  If you found this article helpful, please consider donating.  Thank you for following our blog, A space dedicated to bringing you news on breaking legal developments, interesting articles for law professionals, and educational material for all. We hope that you enjoy your time on our blog and revisit us!  We also invite you to check out our Frequently Asked Questions About Process Servers by clicking here.

This entry was posted in Domestic Violence on by .


The information contained herein has been prepared in compliance with Section 107 of the Copyright Act. Fair use is a legal doctrine that promotes freedom of expression by permitting the unlicensed use of copyright-protected works. The articles/Images contained herein serve as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, educational, and research-as examples of activities that qualify as fair use. Undisputed Legal Inc. is a Process Service Agency and “Not A Law Firm” therefore the articles/images contained herein are for educational purposes only, and not intended as legal advice.