This article will provide guidance on the Code of Civil Procedure in Canada. The legal framework of Canada is a hybrid of common law and civil law. Laws not codified into statutes are known as common law.’ The development of precedent-based principles led to the establishment of common law. 

Canada's legal system is based on a variety of sources, including the English common law system (which it inherited from its time as a colony of the British Empire), the French civil law system (which it inherited from its time as a colony of the French Empire), and the Indigenous law systems developed by the various Indigenous Nations. 

The Constitution of Canada, which consists of both written language and unwritten customs, is the highest legislation of Canada. The parliamentary precedent was confirmed, and authority was shared between the federal and provincial governments in the Constitution Act 1867 (known as the British North America Act before 1982).


The Statute of Westminster established complete independence in 1931. Any lingering legislative links to Britain were severed by the Constitution Act of 1982, including a constitutional amendment process and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The Canadian court has significant influence over the interpretation of laws and the ability to nullify legislation passed by Parliament that is found to violate the country's founding document. With input from the prime minister and justice minister, the governor general appoints its nine members. Supreme and appellate court justices are selected in tandem with private law associations. The federal Cabinet also appoints supreme court judges in each province and territory. Except in Quebec, where civil law rules, all other jurisdictions adhere to common law. 

The federal government promulgates all of Canada's criminal laws, hence the same everywhere. Including criminal courts, law enforcement is formally a provincial duty, with provincial and local police forces handling it.  Native Canadians have rights under the Canadian Constitution to engage in cultural and religious activities practiced for millennia.


The laws codified in civil codes are meant to be all-inclusive.  In a civil law system, unlike common-law systems, judges first consult a civil code and then turn to earlier judgments to see whether or not they are consistent.

Only Quebec has a civil code; its model is the Napoleonic Code of France. Common law applies across the remainder of Canada. Canada's Criminal Code is often commonly referred to as a code.  The legal system in Canada is outlined by treaties negotiated between the Crown and a subset of Aboriginal people. Aboriginal and treaty rights are recognized and safeguarded under the Constitution.

Several provinces and territories are united under a federal government in Canada, making the country a federation. Canada's federal parliament sits in Ottawa, while the ten provinces and three territories have legislatures dealing with local issues. Statutes, legislation, or acts are all common names for laws passed at either the federal or state level. Common law and precedences on a certain topic are superseded when either Parliament or a provincial or territorial legislature passes legislation.

The prime minister selects cabinet members from among the members of Parliament; thus, they must approve the bill before it can become law. The revised version is then introduced as a bill in Parliament, where lawmakers will review it and discuss it. If the measure receives a majority vote of approval in both the House of Commons and the Senate, it will be signed into law. A royal assent from the Governor General is also required. The King's approval is required for every piece of legislation. The procedure is the same in all of the provinces.


In most cases, once an accused person comes before a judge in a provincial court, the trial may begin immediately. A fine of CAD 5,000 or up to six months in jail time, or both, is often the maximum punishment for this crime.

An accused may have the case heard by a judge alone in a superior court, by a judge and a jury in a superior court, or by a judge alone in a superior court. Alternatively, a judge may hold a preliminary hearing before a trial to determine whether or not there is sufficient evidence to proceed with the trial. The lawsuit will be thrown out if the court determines insufficient evidence to proceed. The judge will need a full trial otherwise.

To safeguard the rights of the accused, the police must adhere to certain protocols. The suspect is given a copy of their constitutional rights as a preliminary step in the arrest process.

The arrestee has the right to speak with an attorney immediately, and the police must inform them of this right and explain the circumstances of their arrest and the charges against them.

When someone is arrested, they are brought to a detention center, where they are placed in a holding cell. Every person has the constitutional right to be brought before a court or justice of the peace as quickly as practicable (often within 24 hours). A court will rule on bail or pretrial release at that time.

The prosecution has the burden of proof at a bail hearing. If a court rules that a defendant should be released, the such release might be restricted. A refusal to release the bond will only occur in extreme circumstances. Since committing a crime is often seen as a transgression against the state, it is the state that typically initiates criminal proceedings.


It is important to take a criminal trial seriously. Given that the accused can lose freedom and reputation in the event of a conviction, they must get a fair trial. As a result, the rights of the accused are safeguarded by both common law and the Charter. The prosecution, for instance, has the burden of establishing the defendant's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. A further ground for excluding evidence is if it was collected in violation of the accused's Charter rights, for as by an unlawful search and seizure. An accused individual in a criminal trial cannot be compelled to testify against themselves.

If the defendant is proven innocent, they will be released from custody. The judge will determine the penalty if the defendant is proven guilty. The judge must weigh several factors when deciding on a sentence, including the gravity of the crime, the range of punishments allowed by the Criminal Code or other statutes, the need to deter the offender or others from committing similar crimes, the need to condemn the victim's suffering and the illegal conduct, and the offender's chances of redemption.

Multiple types of sentences, or a mixture of different types, may be imposed by judges. Penalties may be a monetary fine, restitution (where the offender is ordered to compensate the victim for losses), probation (where the criminal can go free on certain terms), or a combination.

Even if the defendant has admitted guilt or been found guilty, a judge is not obligated to issue a conviction. A court may grant a defendant a clean slate or impose some conditions on their release. If a court issues a conditional release, the criminal must comply with the terms or risk a longer prison term.

After receiving a discharge, a person's criminal history will not reflect the conviction. Most criminal and civil cases include the option to appeal a lower court's judgment to a higher one. A higher court may either reject the appeal, confirm, modify, or overturn the lower court's ruling. It will retry certain scenarios as necessary.

Any party to a civil case, or the prosecution or the defense in a criminal case, may appeal.

It is also uncommon for the monetary value of the damages or the degree of the punishment to be challenged on appeal. For instance, the prosecution or the defendant might appeal to a higher court to change their sentence. Due to the possibility of judicial mistakes during a trial, the ability to appeal a court's judgment is an essential protection in our legal system.

The fundamental relationship in the criminal law procedure is between the accused and the state. The value of hearing victims is becoming recognized, and they are beginning to play a larger part in the court system as a result.


The province of Quebec in eastern Canada is the only place where civil law applies. Therefore, its civil procedural law differs from the rest of the nation. The statement of claim was abolished as part of 2003 reforms to Quebec's civil law. Instead, everything is done via motion.  However, courts cannot use their inherent jurisdiction in a way that goes against the letter or spirit of a law or rule. Therefore, a court does not have the authority to alter or dispense compliance with a process contemplated by the civil procedure.

One notable exception to the rule of strict adherence to civil procedure is the presence of a rule within the rules themselves that allows a court, in situations where necessary to do so in the name of justice, to disregard any rule at any time.

The burden of proof rests on the side asking for a waiver of the rule to show that doing so is necessary to achieve justice. In most cases, once an accused person comes before a judge in a provincial court, the trial may begin immediately.


It is necessary to submit evidence of service to show any court that the plaintiff has served the papers, which includes delivering a copy of the court documents to the other parties in the case. Properly serving paperwork ensures that all parties are updated on the case's progress.

When it comes to service, a plaintiff may choose between two distinct options: [A.] regular service and [B.] special service. Regardless of the chosen method, the service of process must occur within a certain time frame to allow the opposing party to react properly.

The process server must be at least 18 years old to serve legal papers. Anyone under eighteen should have an adult serve legal papers on their behalf. In cases when personal service of court papers by the plaintiff or a friend or family member is not possible due to safety concerns or financial constraints, the court personnel may be able to arrange for the documents to be served on the opposing party.

Regular service is an acceptable method of serving most papers. That implies that the party may send the papers to the other party or their attorney via email (same-day or next-day service) or fax, provided that the total page count of the papers being served does not exceed 20 pages without prior approval from the receiving party or an order from the court. 

It is also possible to serve the document through the electronic exchange if all parties agree or the court authorizes it. Some legal papers must be served by a third party and cannot be served by the party directly.

Our Process

Documents can be faxed at (800)-296-0115, emailed to, mailed to 590 Madison Avenue, 21 Floor, New York, New York 10022, or dropped off at any of our locations. We do require pre-payment and accept all major credit and debit cards. Once payment is processed, your sales receipt is immediately emailed for your records.

Drop-offs must call and make an appointment first to be added to building security to permit access to our office. Documents for service must be in a sealed envelope with payment in the form of a money order or attorney check (WE DO NOT ACCEPT CASH) payable to UNDISPUTED LEGAL INC.; Our receptionist receives all documents.


Alaska | Alabama | Arkansas | Arizona | California | Colorado | Connecticut | District of Columbia | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Iowa | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Maine| Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | North Carolina | North Dakota | Nebraska | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | Nevada | New York | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island| South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Vermont | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming


Albania | Andorra | Anguilla | Antigua | Argentina | Armenia | Australia | Austria | Azerbaijan | Bahamas | Barbados | Belarus | Belgium | Belize | Bermuda | Bosnia and Herzegovina | Botswana | Brazil | British Honduras | British Virgin Islands | Bulgaria | Canada | Cayman Islands | Central and Southern Line Islands | Chile|China (Macao) | China People's Republic | Colombia | Costa Rica | Country of Georgia | Croatia | Cyprus | Czech Republic | Denmark | Dominican Republic | Ecuador | Egypt | Estonia | Falkland Islands and Dependences | Fiji | Finland | France | Germany | Gibraltar | Gilbert and Ellice Islands | Greece | Guernsey | Hong Kong | Hungary | Iceland | India | Ireland | Isle of Man | Israel | Italy | Jamaica | Japan | Jersey Channel Islands | Jordan | Kazakhstan | Korea | Kuwait | Latvia | Lithuania | Luxembourg| Malawi | Malaysia | Malta | Mauritius | Mexico| MonacoMontenegro | Montserrat | Morocco | Namibia | Netherlands | New Zealand |Nicaragua | Norway | Pakistan | Panama | Paraguay | Peru | Philippines | Pitcairn |Poland| Portugal | Republic of Moldova | Republic of North Macedonia | Romania |Russian Federation | Saint Vincent and the Grenadines | San Marino | Saudi Arabia | Serbia | Seychelles | Singapore| Slovakia | Slovenia | South Africa | Spain | Sri Lanka | St. Helena and Dependencies | St. Lucia | Sweden | Switzerland | Taiwan | Thailand | Tunisia | Turkey | Turks and Caicos Islands| UkraineUnited Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland | Uruguay | US Virgin Islands | Uzbekistan | Venezuela | Vietnam


New York: (212) 203-8001 – 590 Madison Avenue, 21st Floor, New York, New York 10022
Brooklyn: (347) 983-5436 – 300 Cadman Plaza West, 12th Floor, Brooklyn, New York 11201
Queens: (646) 357-3005 – 118-35 Queens Blvd, Suite 400, Forest Hills, New York 11375
Long Island: (516) 208-4577 – 626 RXR Plaza, 6th Floor, Uniondale, New York 11556
Westchester: (914) 414-0877 – 50 Main Street, 10th Floor, White Plains, New York 10606
Connecticut: (203) 489-2940 – 500 West Putnam Avenue, Suite 400, Greenwich, Connecticut 06830
New Jersey: (201) 630-0114 - 101 Hudson Street, 21 Floor, Jersey City, New Jersey 07302
Washington DC: (202) 655-4450 - 1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, Suite 300, Washington DC 20004

for assistance serving legal papers in Canada

Simply pick up the phone and call Toll Free (800) 774-6922 or click the service you want to purchase. Our dedicated team of professionals is ready to assist you. We can handle all your Canada process service needs; no job is too small or too large!

Contact us for more information about our process-serving agency. We are ready to provide service of process to all our clients globally from our offices in New York, Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island, Westchester, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Washington, D.C.

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives"- Foster, William A


1. The Charter protects fundamental freedoms and liberties that no government may take away, while a notwithstanding clause does provide Parliament and provincial legislatures the power to temporarily disregard some provisions of the Charter for up to five years.

2. The federal Royal Canadian Mounted Police is contracted to provide police services in most rural regions and certain metropolitan areas.

3. Regarding helping victims, the federal government and the provinces coordinate their efforts. Canada and its provinces, for instance, established the Canadian Statement of Basic Principles as a set of guiding principles for all federal and provincial laws and regulations.

By establishing, for the first time in Canadian history, concrete rights for victims of crime, the Canadian Victims Bill of Rights came into effect in 2015 to better the lives of victims of crime throughout the nation. The Canadian Victims Bill of Rights is available on the Justice Laws website. Canadian information about victim services is available at The Victim Services Directory on the aforementioned website allows users to look for services in their area by zip code and service category.

4. Unless all parties agree beforehand, the party may not fax any court papers, including trial transcripts, appellate transcripts, factums, or books of authorities.

5. Any of the following ways qualify as ‘special service’ for a legal document:

  1. Having the served party keep a copy
  2. Giving a copy to any adult who resides at the same address as the person being served in an envelope addressed to that person and then mailing a second copy to the address provided; 
  3. Leaving a copy with the person's attorney of record in the case or with a lawyer who accepts service in writing on a copy of the document; 
  4. Mailing a copy of the document along with Form 6: 
  5. Acknowledgment of Service, which the person being served must complete and return to the party by mail;

6. Application (Form 8 or Form 8A) (Form 8 or Form 8A).

  1. Petition for Reconsideration (Form 15) with supporting sworn statement (Form 14A).
  2. Any legal document that might result in the recipient's incarceration, such as a
  3. Writ of Summons to Appear (Form 23).
  4. Declaration of Intent to Move for Contempt (Form 31).
  5. If jail time is a real possibility, serving someone with a Notice of Motion (Form 14) or Notice of Default Hearing (Form 30).