How to Serve Legal Documents Beyond State Borders

This article will provide guidance on how to serve legal documents beyond state borders. Civil Practice Law and Rules § 314 Understanding how to serve legal documents outside state lines without granting personal jurisdiction is crucial in specific legal scenarios. This guide, focusing on “Serve Legal Documents Individuals,” highlights key instances where such service is both necessary and legally permissible. Click here to watch our introduction video.

Serving in Matrimonial Cases

You can serve legal documents beyond state borders in matrimonial actions using procedures similar to those within the state. This approach facilitates the legal process in personal matters that transcend state boundaries. Click Here for Frequently Asked Questions About Process Servers!

Property Interest Cases

In cases demanding judgments about a person’s interest in property within the state, you can also serve documents outside the state. This applies to actions seeking to enforce, regulate, or affect property titles or interests, including interpleader actions. Click here for information on How To International Process Service Works.

Levy and Chattel Recovery Actions

Moreover, serving outside the state is valid when levying property under an attachment order or seizing chattels within the state for recovery purposes. This ensures individuals linked to in-state assets remain accountable, regardless of their location. Click here for information on How To Efficiently Serve Legal Papers Abroad


Alaska | Alabama | Arkansas | Arizona | California | Colorado | Connecticut | District of Columbia | Delaware | FloridaGeorgia | Hawaii | Iowa | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | MaineMichigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | North Carolina | North Dakota | Nebraska | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | Nevada | New York | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode IslandSouth Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Vermont | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming


New York: (212) 203-8001 – 590 Madison Avenue, 21st Floor, New York, New York 10022
Brooklyn: (347) 983-5436 – 300 Cadman Plaza West, 12th Floor, Brooklyn, New York 11201
Queens: (646) 357-3005 – 118-35 Queens Blvd, Suite 400, Forest Hills, New York 11375
Long Island: (516) 208-4577 – 626 RXR Plaza, 6th Floor, Uniondale, New York 11556
Westchester: (914) 414-0877 – 50 Main Street, 10th Floor, White Plains, New York 10606
Connecticut: (203) 489-2940 – 500 West Putnam Avenue, Suite 400, Greenwich, Connecticut 06830
New Jersey: (201) 630-0114 – 101 Hudson Street, 21 Floor, Jersey City, New Jersey 07302
Washington DC: (202) 655-4450 – 1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. Suite 300, Washington DC 20004

Pick up the phone and call Toll-Free (800) 774-6922 or click the service you want to purchase. Our dedicated team of professionals is ready to help you out. Click here for How the Hague Convention Simplifies International Process Service.

Please feel free to contact us for more information about our process-serving agency. We are ready to provide service of process to all our clients globally from our offices in New York, Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island, Westchester, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Washington, D.C.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives” – Foster, William A


The information contained herein has been prepared in compliance with Section 107 of the Copyright Act. Fair use is a legal doctrine that promotes freedom of expression by permitting the unlicensed use of copyright-protected works. The articles/Images contained herein serve as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, educational, and research-as examples of activities that qualify as fair use. Undisputed Legal Inc. is a Process Service Agency and “Not A Law Firm” therefore the articles/images contained herein are for educational purposes only, and not intended as legal advice.