This article will provide guidance on how to serve legal papers in Washington D.C. When papers are to be filed in Court, it is the primary responsibility of the plaintiff to ensure that all parties involved in the case are entitled to receive a copy. Fundamentally, this is the role of the plaintiff in ensuring that copies are given to the parties of the case in a manner that adequately completes the requirements of Washington D.C. Process Service. Additionally, Washington D.C. Process Service must be tailored in accordance with the requirement of the suit itself, since different situations require different types of Washington D.C. Process Service. Click Here for Frequently Asked Questions About Process Servers!

Premier Process Serving & Investigation Services


At the outset of the summons being issued,  it must be served at least thirty days before the date set for an initial hearing of the action to comply with Washington D.C. Process Service. This includes Sundays, legal holidays, and days that fall within a period during which the Mayor has declared a public health emergency. However, a summons may be served both during that period and for sixty days following that period if the summons is issued. Click here for information on District of Columbia Rules of Civil Procedure

To serve a summons if the defendant has fled Washington D.C. or is not located, the summons may be delivered or left with a person over the age of sixteen who lives on or has possession of the property sought to be recovered. Within three calendar days of the day on which the summons is posted, a copy of the summons will be sent first class U.S. mail, postage prepaid, to those premises sought in the name of the person known to hold the premises, or if unknown, to those premises sought to be recovered according to Washington D.C. Process Service.

A picture of the posted summons must be provided to the court if it is served by posting a copy of Washington D.C. Process Service on the premises. Clearly visible timestamps on the picture are required to show the day and time the summons was posted.  Click here for information on How To Identify A Good Process Service Agency

methods of serving a summons in Washington d.c.

At the plaintiff’s specific request, though, the Court may order that Washington D.C. Process Service be accomplished by a United States marshal, deputy United States marshal, or other person or officer specifically designated by the Court for that effect. This direction will only be done in circumstances where service is to be effected on behalf of the United States or an officer or agency of the same, or when the Court issues an order asserting that Washington D.C. Process Service by a United States marshal or deputy is required so that Washington D.C. Process Service is properly effected in that particular action. Click here for information on How Rush Process Service Can Expedite Your Case.

Washington D.C. Process Service is also done via substitute service at home.  This is not something that the plaintiff can do on their own since they are thus barred by law. If the petitioner does not have someone to hand the documents over to, a process server who is professionally engaged to do so will be able to serve the documents. Substitute Service can also be done at the individual’s place of work. An adult who is not involved in the case will be asked to go to the other parent’s place of employment and hand the documents that are required physically to the individual. Click here for information on How Service of Process Ensures A Solid Foundation.

While it is not as common, Washington D.C. Process Service can also be done via Certified Mail and First-Class Mail. For this, it would be necessary for the petitioner to mail the Summons and Complaint by certified mail, with the return receipt requested. This is something that the individual can accomplish on their own by going to the post office. After the letter is delivered, the post office will send the individual a return receipt via mail. Consequently, Washington D.C. Process Service may be effected by mailing a copy of the summons, complaint, and initial order by first-class mail, postage prepaid, to the person to be served, together with two copies of a Notice and Acknowledgment conforming substantially to Form 1-A and a return envelope, postage prepaid, addressed to the sender. Click here for information on How Process Servers Protect Your Rights: Myths Debunked

Unless good cause is shown for not doing so, the Court will order the payment by the party served of the costs incurred in securing an alternative method of Washington D.C. Process Service if the person served does not complete and return, within twenty days after mailing, the Notice and Acknowledgment of receipt of the summons.


If the individual cannot find the other party, it is possible to a Motion to Serve by Publication or Posting. To initiate, the plaintiff must make an attempt to locate the opposing side. In the motion, it is required to make a list of all the things that have been done to locate the other party. During the court hearing or by letter, the judge will inform the plaintiff of their decision concerning the motion. If the court rules that the plaintiff has not put forth enough effort, then they have the option of making more and then filing another request if they are unable to locate the missing party.

Making an announcement in a newspaper is what is meant by process service by “publication”. If the court approves the request, the plaintiff must make preparations for publication of the notice. For a period of three weeks, the notification must be published once weekly in two publications.  The newspapers will send proof of publication to the court.

Service by Posting is when notice is put up in the courtroom. If paying for a notice’s publication is out of the question for the plaintiff,  they may seek to have it posted instead. It is indeed required to note in the motion any circumstances wherein the plaintiff has previously been given a fee waiver. The court will determine whether to allow notice to be posted instead of published if the plaintiff does not provide information about their financial condition in the petition. The court clerk’s office will take care of posting the notice for the necessary twenty-one days if the request to post is approved. If service is done by posting, then the clerk’s office will take care of matters insofar as the plaintiff does not even actually have to file an affidavit.


One must serve the opposite party with copies of any further documents they submit in a lawsuit, such as replies or motions, generally. Ordinarily, these documents may be sent by first-class mail. Send the documents to the opposite party’s lawyer if they have one. The documents should be sent directly to the opposite party if they don’t have an attorney. It is also possible to hand-deliver the paperwork to the lawyer or the opposing party.

It is required that the summons be signed by the Clerk, carry the Court’s seal, identify both the Court and the parties, be addressed to the defendant, as well as mention the plaintiff’s attorney’s name and address if the plaintiff is not represented. If the defendant does not show up and defend themselves within that time frame, there will be a default judgment against them for the remedy sought in the complaint.


Washington D.C. Service of Process upon individuals in a foreign country is possible in the District of Colombia unless the individual is an infant or an incompetent person. This Washington D.C. Process Service is done upon an individual from whom an acknowledgment has not been obtained and filed, which can be done by international agreements like the Hague Convention on the Service Abroad of Judicial and Extra-judicial Documents.

However, it is not absolutely necessary for this international agreement insofar as if are no internationally agreed means of service or the applicable international agreement allows other means of service, provided that Washington D.C. Service of Process is reasonably calculated to give notice: [A.] in the manner prescribed by the law of the foreign country for service in that country in action in any of its courts of general jurisdiction; or [B.] as directed by the foreign authority in response to a letter rogatory or letter of request; or [C.] unless prohibited by the law of the foreign country, by delivery to the individual personally of a copy of the summons, complaint, and initial order; or delivery by mail requiring a signed receipt, to be addressed and dispatched by the clerk of the court to the party to be served.

The summons, complaint, and first order must be served by presenting them to the Mayor of Washington D.C. and Washington D.C. Corporation Counsel. A written notice filed with the Court’s Clerk by the Mayor or Corporation Counsel designates an employee to receive service of process. A copy of the summons, complaint, and first order must also be given or mailed to the officer or agency in any action challenging the legality of an order of Washington D.C. not made a party. The summons, complaint, and first order shall be delivered to the Mayor (or designee), the Corporation Counsel (or designee), and such official or agency for Washington D.C. Process Server.

Washington D.C. may be served by providing a copy of the summons, complaint, and first-order to the Mayor (or designee) of Washington D.C. and the Corporation Counsel of Washington D.C. By virtue of submitting a written notice with the Court’s Clerk, the Mayor and Corporation Counsel can individually nominate one employee to receive service of process. A duplicate of the summons, complaint, and first order must therefore be given or mailed to almost any officer or agency of Washington D.C. that is not a party to the action challenging the legality of an order. The summons, complaint, and first-order can then be served on a Washington D.C. officer or agency by providing a copy to the Mayor (or designee), the Corporation Counsel (or designee), and such officer or agency.

A summons may be modified with the permission of the Court complying with the rules of Washington D.C. Process Service. In the event that Washington D.C. Process Service is made pursuant to statute or rule of court that [A.] provides for service upon a party not residing in Washington D.C., or [B.] provides for service upon or notice to party to appear and respond to the attachment or garnishment or similar seizure of the property of the party located in Washington D.C., Washington D.C. Process Service should be completed based on this statute.

When the plaintiff files court papers other than the initial complaint, they must also file a certificate of service that states who they served, the manner of, at what address, and on what date. Serving court papers filed after a final order has been entered would then require the filing of the motion or pleading after more than sixty days of a final order or judgment, the papers must be served the same way the plaintiff would serve a summons and complaint.


For a filing to be done adequately with the clerk, it is necessary to understand that every single paper that is permitted to be filed in this court must be filed with the Clerk. This means that filing should be accomplished in accordance with the methodology and the timelines of the Clerk. For example, filing may be accomplished by mail addressed to the Clerk, but will not be considered to be timely if the Clerk does not actually receive the papers within the time fixed for filing. Additionally, a paper filed by an inmate confined in an institution would be considered to be timely if deposited in the institution’s internal mailing system on or before the last day for filing. If an institution has a system designed for legal mail, the inmate must use that system to receive the benefit of this rule.

Washington D.C. Process Service upon the clerk is usually done by [A.] personal service, which would also provide for delivery to a responsible person at the office of counsel; [B.] by mail; [C.] by the third-party commercial carrier for delivery within three calendar days; or [D.] by electronic means, if the party being served consents in writing. Although these forms of Washington D.C. Process Service are typically undertaken, it should be remembered that other factors like the immediate nature of relief or distance should be considered. Additionally, for all requests of expedited and emergency consideration, Washington D.C. Process Service should be done specifically on all counsel as well as any party not represented by counsel. Furthermore, Washington D.C. Process Service by mail or by the commercial carrier is complete on mailing or delivery to the carrier whereas similar service by electronic means would be considered to be complete on transmission unless the party making Washington D.C. Process Service is notified that the paper was not received by the party served.

It is necessary for any paper presented for failing to maintain a record of service, which often takes the form of [A.] an acknowledgment of service by the person served; or [B]. proof of service consisting of a statement by the person who conducted the Washington D.C. Process Service. This proof of service usually would include. the date and manner of service; the names of the persons served; and the mail or electronic address, addresses of the places of delivery, as appropriate for the manner of service. This proof of service must be included with the papers that have been filed. If any paper is not accepted by the Clerk for filing, the Clerk must promptly notify the persons named in the certificate of service.


There is often a timeline for serving and filing briefs adequately. Usually, the plaintiff must serve the opposite party with copies of any further documents they submit in a lawsuit, such as replies or motions as per Washington D.C. Process Service. Ordinarily, these documents may be sent by first-class mail. Send the documents to the opposite party’s lawyer if they have one. The documents should be sent directly to the opposite party if they don’t have an attorney. It also is possible to hand-deliver the paperwork to the lawyer or the opposing party.

Individual appellants may join to submit a single brief in consolidated appeals. There must be a reply brief filed within the time allowed if individual appellants or appellees submit separate briefs, the period running following delivery of the last brief to which a response is made.

It is also required to ensure that the number of copies for Washington D.C. Process Serving is adequate if there is a consolidated brief that is submitted. An original and three copies of each brief must be filed with the Clerk. However, if the case is to be heard en banc, then an original and nine copies of each brief must be filed. A copy of each brief must be served on counsel for each separately represented party, as well as on each unrepresented party. By order in a particular case, the court may require the filing or Washington D.C. Process Service of a different number of copies.

There are repercussions to a Failure to File. An appellee may seek to dismiss an appeal if an appellant fails to submit a brief within the time period specified in this rule, or within the time period thus extended. Unless the court gives permission, a party that fails to submit a brief will not be heard during an oral argument.


Alaska | Alabama | Arkansas | Arizona | California | Colorado | Connecticut | District of Columbia | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Iowa | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Maine | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | North Carolina | North Dakota | Nebraska | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | Nevada | New York | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Vermont | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming


Albania | Andorra | Anguilla | Antigua | Argentina | Armenia | Australia | Austria | Azerbaijan | Bahamas | BarbadosBelarus | Belgium | Belize | Bermuda | Bosnia and Herzegovina | Botswana | Brazil | British Honduras | British Virgin Islands | Bulgaria | Canada | Cayman Islands | Central and Southern Line Islands | Chile|China (Macao) | China People’s Republic | Colombia | Costa Rica | Country of Georgia | Croatia | Cyprus | Czech Republic | Denmark | Dominican Republic | Ecuador | Egypt | Estonia | Falkland Islands and Dependences | Fiji | Finland | France | Germany | Gibraltar | Gilbert and Ellice Islands | Greece | Guernsey | Hong Kong | Hungary | Iceland | India | IrelandIsle of Man | Israel | ItalyJamaica | Japan | Jersey Channel Islands | Jordan | Kazakhstan | Korea | Kuwait | LatviaLithuania | Luxembourg | Malawi | Malaysia | Malta | Mauritius | MexicoMonaco | Montenegro | Montserrat | Morocco | Namibia | NetherlandsNew Zealand |Nicaragua | Norway | Pakistan | Panama | Paraguay | Peru | Philippines | Pitcairn |Poland | Portugal | Republic of Moldova | Republic of North Macedonia | Romania |Russian Federation | Saint Vincent and the Grenadines | San Marino | Saudi Arabia | Serbia | Seychelles | SingaporeSlovakiaSlovenia | South Africa | Spain | Sri Lanka | St. Helena and Dependencies | St. Lucia | Sweden | Switzerland | Taiwan | Thailand | Tunisia | Turkey | Turks and Caicos IslandsUkraine | United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland | Uruguay | US Virgin Islands | Uzbekistan | Venezuela | Vietnam


New York: (212) 203-8001 – 590 Madison Avenue, 21st Floor, New York, New York 10022
Brooklyn: (347) 983-5436 – 300 Cadman Plaza West, 12th Floor, Brooklyn, New York 11201
Queens: (646) 357-3005 – 118-35 Queens Blvd, Suite 400, Forest Hills, New York 11375
Long Island: (516) 208-4577 – 626 RXR Plaza, 6th Floor, Uniondale, New York 11556
Westchester: (914) 414-0877 – 50 Main Street, 10th Floor, White Plains, New York 10606
Connecticut: (203) 489-2940 – 500 West Putnam Avenue, Suite 400, Greenwich, Connecticut 06830
New Jersey: (201) 630-0114 – 101 Hudson Street, 21 Floor, Jersey City, New Jersey 07302
Washington DC: (202) 655-4450 – 1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. Suite 300, Washington DC 20004

Simply pick up the phone and call Toll-Free (800) 774-6922 or click the service you want to purchase.   Our dedicated team of professionals is ready to assist you. We can handle all your process service needs; no job is too small or too large!  For a complete list of our District of Columbia Process Service Coverage Areas, Click Here!

Contact us for more information about our process serving agency. We are ready to provide service of process to all our clients globally from our offices in New York, Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island, Westchester, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Washington, D.C.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.- Foster, William A


1. (USMS), U.S. Marshals Service. “U.S. Marshals Service.” U.S. Marshals Home Page,

2. Individuals can get court pleadings at, or at the D.C. Superior Court Family Court Central Intake Center (500 Indiana Avenue NW, Room JM-540), open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

3. ” Rule 4 – Summons, Miss. R. Civ. P. 4

4. (Dec. 23, 1963, 77 Stat. 513, Pub. L. 88-241, § 1; July 29, 1970, 84 Stat. 552, Pub. L. 91-358, title I, § 142(2).)

5. The Convention on the Service Abroad of Judicial and Extrajudicial Documents in Civil or Commercial Matters, more commonly called the Hague Service Convention, is a multilateral treaty that was adopted in The Hague, The Netherlands, on 15 November 1965 by member states of the Hague Conference on Private International Law.

6. Unless a rule requires service by the Clerk, a party must, at or before the time of filing a paper, serve a copy on the other parties to the appeal or review. Service on a party represented by counsel must be made on the party’s counsel.

7. Timely filing may be shown by a declaration in compliance with 28 U.S.C. § 1746 or by a notarized statement, either of which must set forth the date of deposit and state that first-class postage has been prepaid.

8. Rule 35. En Banc Determination

(a) When Hearing or Rehearing En Banc May Be Ordered. A majority of the circuit judges who are in regular active service and who are not disqualified may order that an appeal or other proceeding be heard or reheard by the court of appeals en banc. An en banc hearing or rehearing is not favored and ordinarily will not be ordered unless:

(1) en banc consideration is necessary to secure or maintain uniformity of the court’s decisions; or

(2) the proceeding involves a question of exceptional importance.


The information contained herein has been prepared in compliance with Section 107 of the Copyright Act. Fair use is a legal doctrine that promotes freedom of expression by permitting the unlicensed use of copyright-protected works. The articles/Images contained herein serve as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, educational, and research-as examples of activities that qualify as fair use. Undisputed Legal Inc. is a Process Service Agency and “Not A Law Firm” therefore the articles/images contained herein are for educational purposes only, and not intended as legal advice.