This article will provide guidance on How To Serve legal papers in Vermont. A process server does not have to be licensed in Vermont to provide Vermont Process Service. However, process servers must be authorized by the county court in which they are serving.  Click Here for Frequently Asked Questions About Process Servers!

Premier Process Serving & Investigation Services

Unless otherwise specified by a superior judge or a judge of the court to which it is returnable, all Vermont Process Service must be served by a sheriff or deputy sheriff, constable or other person authorized by law, or by some impartial person specially appointed for that purpose by any superior judge or a judge of the court to which it is returnable. When considerable savings in travel costs may be achieved, special appointments to serve the process may be established without charge. Click Here for information on What Do Process Servers in Vermont Do!

The plaintiff’s attorney must send the summons or a copy of the summons to the person who is to return the summons and a copy of the summons and the complaint concerning Vermont Process Service upon the defendant to the person who is to return the summons to the plaintiff. Any Superior Judge or a judge or the clerk of the court to which the summons is returnable must sign the summons on behalf of the plaintiff. To ensure the defendant’s compliance with Vermont Process Service rules, the notice must include a court name, the name and address of the plaintiff’s attorney, and a due date for the defendant to appear and defend. It must also inform the defendant that if the defendant fails to do so, judgment by default will be issued against the defendant for any relief sought in their complaint. Click here for information on Vermont Rules of Civil Procedure.

A sheriff or deputy sheriff, a constable or other person authorized by law may serve Vermont Process Service, or an impartial person specially appointed by any superior judge or a judge of the court to which it is returnable may serve Vermont Process Service. When considerable savings in travel costs may be achieved, special appointments to serve the Vermont Process Service can be provided without charge. Click here for information on How Rush Process Service Can Expedite Your Case.

It is possible to summon an officer to provide personal Vermont Process Service in the state. When serving summonses and complaints, they must be done so jointly. Click here for information on How Service of Process Ensures A Solid Foundation.

First, the summons and complaint may be served on an individual by handing the summons and complaint to that person. It Is possible for a judge to direct Vermont Process Service of summons and complaint by publication in the event that serves as stipulated cannot be done with appropriate care, so long as the court finds that publication would be more effective. Click here for information on How Process Servers Protect Your Rights: Myths Debunked

Vermont Process Service may be carried out in a variety of ways, depending on the circumstances. Suppose Vermont Process Service cannot be carried out on any of these individuals. In that case, the Vermont Process Service may order service to be carried out as otherwise provided by order. 

The Attorney or Deputy Attorney General of Vermont may be served by handing over to them a copy of the summons and complaint. A summons and complaint may be delivered to the county clerk or treasurer.

The summons and complaint may be served on a town official by providing a copy to the clerk, the treasurer, the manager, or a selectman. A municipal clerk, treasurer, or manager may get a copy of the summons and the complaint. Vermont Process Service may also be achieved by providing a copy of the summons and the complaint to any officer, director, superintendent, or manager of any other public organization, body, or authority.

Vermont Process Service may also be made on a domestic or foreign private corporation through the service of process on an officer, director, managing or general agent or superintendent, or any other person authorized to receive process by appointment or by statute. However, all notices necessary under a statute authorizing an agent to receive service must also be provided in this case. The cashier and assistant cashiers of the national bank are included in this line. Suppose no authorized individual is available for collecting Vermont Process Service. In that case, these copies can be delivered to any employee or stockholder or left at the corporation’s office or place of business in the state.

The summons and complaint may be served on a partnership, unincorporated association, or joint-stock company by delivering the summons and complaint to an officer, a managing or general agent, a superintendent, or any member thereof. 

In order to serve summons and complaints outside the state, a person must be authorized to serve civil process by the laws of the place of Vermont Process Service. If this is not the case, then they must be appointed to serve it, by a person who is authorized to serve civil Vermont Process Service under the laws of the place where the summons and complaint are served. The person doing service must sign and submit an affidavit with the court detailing the date, time, and location of service. In the state, this kind of Vermont Process Service has the same weight and weight as personal service.

After a complaint is filed, the court may order Vermont Process Service by publication. The court may order Vermont Process Service by publication upon showing through a verified complaint or affidavit duly filed that another prescribed method of Vermont Process Service cannot be carried out with due diligence. An order for Vermont Process Service by publication must contain [A.] a short explanation of what the action is all about; [B.] any property at issue, if applicable; and [C.] the summons. Additionally, the order must be published in a specified newspaper or newspapers of broad circulation at least seven days apart each week for two or more consecutive weeks in a manner reasonably designed to alert the defendant. A copy of the order as published will also be sent to the defendant if an address is identified.


As soon as possible as the Vermont Process Service has been completed and published. Immediately after the order is given, the initial publication of the summons must occur.

The person who serves the Vermont Process Service must provide evidence of Vermont Process Service on the original process or a document attached to it for that purpose and return it, together with that person’s fees, charges, and mileage, to the plaintiff’s attorney as soon as possible. The evidence of service must be filed with the court by the plaintiff’s counsel within the time period in which the person served must reply to the process. Anyone other than a sheriff or deputy sheriff or a constable authorized by law who performs Vermont Process Service must provide an affidavit attesting to the fact that they did so. The legitimacy of the Vermont Process Service is unaffected if evidence of service is not provided. The date of Vermont Process Service must be marked on the copy of the process served to the defendant or other person. The validity of Vermont Process Service will not be affected if the date of service is not endorsed.

The court may allow any Vermont Process Service or evidence of service to be changed at any time and on any terms, it deems appropriate, unless it is obvious that serious injury will be caused to the person against whom the Vermont Process Service was issued. 


As long as the summons and complaint are served in the manner prescribed by law in the country where they are to be served, or if the foreign authority requests a letter rogatory, the Vermont Process Service is sufficient to give actual notice; or if the summons and complaint are delivered to the person to whom they are addressed, by delving the summons and complaint. Non-parties may be served by any person who is not a party and is at least eighteen years old or by a person designated by the court or by the foreign court in question. In the event that a person or a foreign court or officer asks for it, the clerk will forward the summons to them for service.

In order to prove Vermont Process Service, one must follow the law of the foreign country or the court’s order. There must be a receipt signed by the addressee or other evidence of delivery to the addressee satisfactory to the court. 

Notice may be given if the complaint has been filed, and summons and complaints may be served within or outside the state by personal service.

Thirdly, regarding the approach. If an individual, the notice and request should be in writing and addressed directly to the defendant or to any other person authorized to receive Vermont Process Service on behalf of a defendant who is not an individual and must be dispatched through first-class mail. There is no waiver for failing to comply with a request for waiver made by a plaintiff based in any state or territory of the United States, and the court will assess expenses expended in achieving service on a defendant located in any state or territory unless there is good reason for the failure.

When a waiver is granted, the clock starts ticking on the answer. Before being served, a defendant may return a requested waiver signed and dated personally or by a person to whom a notice and request may be addressed and the defendant is exempt from serving a response to a complaint for sixty days after that date, or ninety days if the defendant was addressed outside of any state or territory of United States.


Every subpoena must include the name of the court from which it was issued and the date and time of the hearing. Producing evidence or allowing an inspection can be ordered in conjunction with or separately from appearing at a trial or hearing or deposition.

Courts in any county may issue subpoenas. The clerk will issue a subpoena to the party that requests it, signed but otherwise blank, so that the party may fill it out before it is served. Additionally, a subpoena may be issued and signed by a lawyer, a notary, or a judge.

An individual who is not a party and is at least eighteen years of age may serve a subpoena. The individual mentioned in the subpoena will be served with a copy of the subpoena. If the individual’s presence is required, the pay for one day’s attendance and the permitted miles should be given to the person. Each party must be supplied with notice of any required production of documents and items or examination of premises prior to trial.

When proof of service is required, the clerk of the court for which the subpoena is issued must receive a statement from the person who served the subpoena certifying the date and mode of service and the names of the people served.

The safety of those who have been subpoenaed is a major concern. In order to avoid putting an unreasonable hardship or cost on the subject of the subpoena, a party or an attorney responsible for the issuing and delivery of a subpoena must take reasonable precautions. Courts are required to enforce this obligation and impose an appropriate penalty, which may include, but is not limited to, lost profits and a fair attorney’s fee for those who fail to comply with a subpoena.

Unless required to present in person for a deposition, hearing, or trial, a person ordered to produce and authorize examination and copying of certain books, papers, documents, or physical items, does not have to appear in person at the location of production or inspection. The party or attorney named in the subpoena may serve a written objection on the person commanded to produce and permit inspection and copying within fourteen days after service of the subpoena or before the time specified for compliance if such time is less than fourteen days after service. Subpoenaed documents and premises may only be seen and copied by the party serving the subpoena if the court has granted an order authorizing the subpoena. A subpoena-serving party may seek an order to compel production at any moment if the person is directed to produce objects to the subpoena. Non-parties or officers of a party are shielded from the high costs of the examination and copying required by such an order compelling production.

Documents must be produced as they are stored in the normal course of business or organized and labeled to match the categories requested in a subpoena.

A person responding to a subpoena must submit electronically stored information using the form or forms in which they normally preserve it or in forms that are generally useable if a subpoena does not specify otherwise. Respondents to a subpoena do not have to submit the same electronically stored material in several formats.

In order for a requesting party to challenge the withholding of information pursuant to a claim of privilege or trial preparation material protection, the claim must be stated explicitly and supported by a description of the nature of the documents, communications, or items not supplied.

It is permissible for the individual claiming privilege or protection as trial preparation material to tell every party that received information supplied in response to a subpoena of their claim and the grounds for it. The specified information and any copies a party possesses must be immediately returned, sequestered, or destroyed after notification. They cannot be used or disclosed until a claim is resolved. A receiving party may immediately offer the information to the court under seal for the purpose of determining the claim in question. As long as the recipient has not been told, they must take reasonable measures to recover the information. Once a claim is made, the information must be kept safe by the individual who provided it.


Foreign subpoenas are subpoenas issued by foreign courts of record; they are not subpoenas issued by US courts. The clerk of the court in the county where discovery is to take place must be served with a foreign subpoena or court order before a request for issuance of a subpoena may be made under this rule, the Uniform Interstate Deposition and Discovery Act (UIDDA)-Vermont.

If a subpoena demands that a witness or papers be produced beyond Vermont, the subpoena cannot be valid. Under this regulation, a subpoena request may be made by an attorney who is not licensed to practice law in Vermont and does not constitute an appearance in the courts of Vermont. Unrepresented parties may use this rule to seek the issue of a subpoena, but they may only sign a foreign subpoena if the rules of the foreign jurisdiction permit them to do so.

When filing an application for a protective order, the motion must be filed to the court in the county where the discovery is to be performed. To file a motion or respond to such a motion, or participate in a hearing on the motion, a Vermont attorney must be admitted to practice.

A clerk of court must promptly present a judge with a foreign subpoena submitted by a party. The clerk will sign the subpoena and send it to the seeking party for service as soon as the court authorizes the request. The foreign subpoena’s terms may be included in the document if they comply with Rule 45 and other aspects, but the document must otherwise adhere to these rules.

If the subpoena pertains to a hearing in which counsel is not present, the summons must include the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of all counsel in that proceeding.


Documents can be faxed at (800) 296-0115, emailed, mailed, or dropped off at any of our locations. We do require pre-payment and accept all major credit and debit cards. Once payment is processed, your sales receipt is immediately emailed for your records.

Drop-offs must call and make an appointment first to be added to building security to permit access to our office. Documents for service must be in a sealed envelope with payment in the form of a money order or attorney check (WE DO NOT ACCEPT CASH) payable to UNDISPUTED LEGAL INC.; All documents are received by our receptionist.


Alaska | Alabama | Arkansas | Arizona | California | Colorado | Connecticut | District of Columbia | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Iowa | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Maine | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | North Carolina | North Dakota| Nebraska | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | Nevada | New York | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon| Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Vermont | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming


Albania | Andorra | Anguilla | Antigua | Argentina | Armenia | Australia | Austria | Azerbaijan | Bahamas | Barbados | Belarus | Belgium | Belize | Bermuda | Bosnia and Herzegovina | Botswana | Brazil | British Honduras| British Virgin Islands | Bulgaria | Canada | Cayman Islands | Central and Southern Line Islands | Chile|China (Macao) | China People’s Republic | Colombia | Costa Rica | Country of Georgia | Croatia | Cyprus| Czech Republic| Denmark | Dominican Republic | Ecuador | Egypt | Estonia | Falkland Islands and Dependences | Fiji | Finland | France | Germany | Gibraltar | Gilbert and Ellice Islands | Greece | Guernsey | Hong Kong | Hungary | Iceland | India | Ireland | Isle of Man | Israel | Italy | Jamaica | Japan | Jersey Channel Islands | Jordan | Kazakhstan | Korea| Kuwait | Latvia | Lithuania | Luxembourg | Malawi | Malaysia | Malta | Mauritius | Mexico| MonacoMontenegro| Montserrat | Morocco | Namibia | Netherlands | New Zealand|Nicaragua | Norway | Pakistan | Panama | Paraguay | Peru | Philippines | Pitcairn |Poland | Portugal | Republic of Moldova | Republic of North Macedonia | Romania |Russian Federation | Saint Vincent and the Grenadines | San Marino | Saudi Arabia | Serbia| Seychelles | Singapore| Slovakia | Slovenia | South Africa | Spain | Sri Lanka | St. Helena and Dependencies | St. Lucia | Sweden| Switzerland | Taiwan | Thailand | Tunisia | Turkey | Turks and Caicos Islands| UkraineUnited Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland | Uruguay | US Virgin Islands | Uzbekistan | Venezuela | Vietnam


New York: (212) 203-8001 – 590 Madison Avenue, 21st Floor, New York, New York 10022
Brooklyn: (347) 983-5436 – 300 Cadman Plaza West, 12th Floor, Brooklyn, New York 11201
Queens: (646) 357-3005 – 118-35 Queens Blvd, Suite 400, Forest Hills, New York 11375
Long Island: (516) 208-4577 – 626 RXR Plaza, 6th Floor, Uniondale, New York 11556
Westchester: (914) 414-0877 – 50 Main Street, 10th Floor, White Plains, New York 10606
Connecticut: (203) 489-2940 – 500 West Putnam Avenue, Suite 400, Greenwich, Connecticut 06830
New Jersey: (201) 630-0114 – 101 Hudson Street, 21 Floor, Jersey City, New Jersey 07302
Washington DC: (202) 655-4450 – 1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. Suite 300, Washington DC 20004

Simply pick up the phone and call Toll-Free (800) 774-6922 or click the service you want to purchase. Our dedicated team of professionals is ready to assist you. We can handle all your process service needs; no job is too small or too large!

Contact us for more information about our process serving agency. We are ready to provide service of process to all our clients globally from our offices in New York, Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island, Westchester, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Washington D.C.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives” – Foster, William A


1. Or by delivering a copy to the individual’s residence or usual place of residence, or by delivering the summons and complaint to an agent who is authorized by law to receive process, provided that if the agent is a designated agent to receive service of process, the summons and complaint may be served on the agent only if the agent is a person who has been designated by statute to receive process.

2. If service cannot be carried out on any of these individuals, then the court may order service to be carried out as otherwise provided by order.

3. Provided that any further notice required by a statute authorizing an agent to receive service shall also be given.

4. A representation by the attorney that the complaint supplied to the officer for service was an accurate copy is made when the attorney files evidence of service with the court. This representation is subject to the responsibilities of Rule 11.

5. In the event that a defendant refuses to accept the service of a summons, he or she does not automatically waive any objections to the venue or the jurisdiction of the court.

6.  An infant or an incompetent person, on the other hand, cannot be served with notice under this section. A defendant who receives notice of an action in the manner set forth in this subdivision must avoid unnecessary costs in serving the summons. By notifying the defendant and asking that they not be served with a summons, a plaintiff can save money by avoiding the expense of a summons.

7. Provided that notice may not be given to a public officer designated by statute as an agent to receive service of process.

8. The subpoenaed party should be informed that he or she has the right to approach the Vermont court under Rule 45(c) in order to have the subpoena quashed or modified; and


The information contained herein has been prepared in compliance with Section 107 of the Copyright Act. Fair use is a legal doctrine that promotes freedom of expression by permitting the unlicensed use of copyright-protected works. The articles/Images contained herein serve as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, educational, and research-as examples of activities that qualify as fair use. Undisputed Legal Inc. is a Process Service Agency and “Not A Law Firm” therefore the articles/images contained herein are for educational purposes only, and not intended as legal advice.