This article will provide guidance on What Due Process Servers in Vermont Do? In Vermont, documents may be served by anybody over eighteen (18) who is not a party to the case. Vermont process servers local to the area have an advantage when serving legal papers in the state. It is important to choose a skilled and experienced Vermont process server familiar with where the documents need to be served. When hiring a process server, Undisputed Legal is trustworthy as to the sensitive nature of the papers they handle. All of Undisputed Legal’s process servers have been thoroughly vetted. Click Here for Frequently Asked Questions About Process Servers!

Any superior judge or judge of the court to which it is returnable may direct that service be made by a sheriff or deputy sheriff, a constable or other person authorized by law, or by some indifferent person specially appointed for that purpose; alternatively, notice and request and a subpoena may be deposited in the mail by the plaintiff or plaintiff’s attorney.  Click here for information on How Rush Process Service Can Expedite Your Case.

Our process servers in Vermont are conversant with the state’s civil procedure regulations. Vermont’s civil procedure regulations are complex, so choosing a process server who will treat your case with the attention it deserves is important. If you need legal papers served in Vermont, you should choose a process server that can demonstrate they are familiar with even the most recent changes to state law. Click here for information on How Service of Process Ensures A Solid Foundation.


Service of process may be made upon a natural person by personal delivery or by leaving copies of the summons and complaint at the person’s residence or usual abode with a person of suitable age and discretion or by service of process upon an agent authorized by appointment or by law to receive service of process, provided that if the agent is one designated by statute to receive service, then service of process may be made upon the agent in the manner prescribed by statute. Service may be done by leaving a copy of the summons and complaint at the defendant’s residence or habitual place of abode or by publishing if the court determines that publication is more effective. Click here for information on How Process Servers Protect Your Rights: Myths Debunked

Service upon a domestic or foreign private corporation may be made by delivering copies of the summons and complaint to an officer, director, managing or general agent, superintendent, or other agent authorized by appointment or law to receive service of process, with any additional notice required by a statute authorizing an agent to receive service also being given. 

Anywhere in Vermont, Undisputed Legal is prepared to serve your legal papers. We are proud to serve customers around the country, including Vermont, where our services are always conducted in the strictest confidence. Our process servers in Vermont are well-versed in the state’s laws and know how to serve legal papers properly. Service to our clients is always our priority here at Undisputed Legal. A professional process server will always be assigned to deliver our clients’ legal papers, so you can rest easy knowing they will arrive on time and in good order. In addition, we provide a wide range of legal services across Vermont, including process service, skip tracing, court filings, and more.


Any person authorized to serve civil process by the laws of the place of service or a person specially appointed to serve it may serve the summons and the complaint on a person outside Vermont. The time, method, and location of service must be detailed in an affidavit submitted to the court. Such service is as binding as if performed in person inside the state.

Where service cannot, with reasonable care, be accomplished physically inside or outside the state, service of the summons and complaint may be made by mail. This service is achieved through delivery to the defendant outside the state by registered or certified mail, with limited delivery and return receipt desired. Service by registered or certified mail will be complete when the registered or certified mail is delivered, and the return receipt is signed. If acceptance is refused,  service can be achieved as long that the plaintiff will file with the court an affidavit informing them as to the efforts made to obtain personal service and either the return receipt or an affidavit that upon notice of such refusal, a copy of the summons and complaint was sent to the defendant by ordinary first class mail. Our process servers are easily able to handle personal service, substituted service, and service by mail across Vermont and its districts. 

A publishing order must contain a summary of the cause of action,  a description of any real property at issue if the defendant’s title or interest therein is in question and the content of the summons. The twenty-first day after the first publication is the end of the service period through publication. After publication, the plaintiff must submit an affidavit to the court as proof.

Undisputed Legal only uses licensed, bonded, and insured process servers in Vermont, so you know your legal documents are in good hands. Service hours are flexible. If you choose routine service, the server will make its first effort to deliver your documents within five to seven working days. If you choose rush service, the server will make its first attempt to deliver your papers within forty-eight hours. We also provide postal service, with the delivery of papers guaranteed within twenty-four hours after receipt.

Although start times may vary, you may be confident that a process server in Vermont will make at least three (3) attempts to deliver your papers in the morning, afternoon, and evening, depending on whatever service option you choose.


The person serving the process will make evidence of service on the original process or a document attached and immediately send it to the plaintiff’s attorney. The plaintiff’s attorney must, within the period the person served, reply to the process and submit the evidence of service to the court. The attorney’s submission of such evidence of service with the court shall constitute a representation by the attorney that the copy of the complaint submitted to the officer for service was genuine. If service is performed by a person other than a sheriff, deputy sheriff, or a constable authorized by law, that person must give evidence by affidavit. It is customary for the officer or other person serving the process to date stamp the copy left with the defendant or other party being served. A missed opportunity to endorse the date of service will not invalidate the service.

All persons entitled to the server process will serve within five days of receipt and return as to those served within seventy-two hours after the earliest service upon any party shown on each Proof of Service. It should be noted, however, that failure to make timely service and return shall not prejudice the rights of any party. However, for the utmost transparency into the whereabouts of your papers at all times, we provide GPS-verified affidavits of service in addition to ‘real-time’ email updates. We make it a point to email you a copy of the affidavit of service prior to any attempts at service, including service by mail. Further, we also provide new customers with a free basic skip trace. 

When it comes to serving legal documents, Undisputed Legal only uses seasoned professionals who have fulfilled the most current licensing, education, and bonding requirements set out by the jurisdiction in which they serve. A primary focus of Undisputed Legal, Inc. is the location and service of the process for evasive defendants and witnesses.


Any objections to the venue or the court’s jurisdiction over the defendant are not waived by the defendant’s failure to respond to the summons or the defendant’s failure to respond. Notice may be given where an action has been begun by filing the complaint, and the summons and complaint may be served inside or outside the state by personal service. However, the notification may not be provided to a minor or an incompetent adult. The plaintiff may inform such a defendant of the action’s initiation and request that the defendant forego serving a summons if the plaintiff believes that doing so would result in an unnecessary increase in expenses to the defendant.

The notice and request given should be in writing and will be addressed directly to the defendant if an individual. This notice must be dispatched through first-class mail or other reliable means and should be accompanied by a copy of the complaint and will identify the court in which it has been filed. The notice also will inform the defendant, by means of a form conforming substantially to Forms 1B and 1C as contained in the Appendix of Forms, of the consequences of compliance and failure to comply with the request. The notice should set forth the date on which the request is sent and will allow the defendant a reasonable time to return the waiver, which shall be at least thirty days from the date on which the request is sent or sixty days from that date if the defendant is addressed outside any state or territory of the United States. The server should provide the defendant with an extra copy of the notice and request and a prepaid means of compliance in writing.


Service of a summons and complaint upon a foreign party may also be effected in the manner prescribed by the law of the foreign country for service in that country in action in any of its courts of general jurisdiction or as directed by the foreign authority in response to a letter rogatory, when service, in either case, is reasonably calculated to give actual notice. Service can also be done to an individual by delivery to such a person. Upon request, the clerk shall communicate the summons to the person, foreign court, or official who will perform the service.

Proof of service may be made by the foreign nation’s legislation or by court order. A signed receipt from the addressee or other evidence of delivery to the addressee acceptable to the court may suffice as proof of service when service is made.  If the defendant, prior to being served with the process, returns a requested waiver signed and dated by the defendant or by a person to whom a notice and request may be addressed, the deadline for serving the defendant’s answer to the complaint is extended to sixty days from the date on which the request for waiver of service was sent or ninety days from the date on which the request for waiver of service was sent if the defendant was addressed outside any state or territory of the United States.

It is important to ensure that you trust your process server since improper service might compromise the validity of your case. Our process servers in Vermont will deliver your papers promptly and with greater care. At Undisputed Legal, all our servers are familiar with the communities and the nuances of Vermont legislation.  Our process servers have seen and done everything from divorce and eviction to repossession and minor claims. Undisputed Legal is the only place to turn if you need legal papers served in Vermont by a professional process server. 


Documents can be faxed at (800) 296-0115, emailed to ps@undisputedlegal.com, or uploaded on our website. We do require prepayment and accept all major credit and debit cards. Once payment is processed, your sales receipt is immediately emailed for your records.

Drop-offs must call and make an appointment first to be added to building security to permit access to our office. Documents for service must be in a sealed envelope with payment in the form of a money order or attorney check (WE DO NOT ACCEPT CASH) payable to UNDISPUTED LEGAL INC.; Our receptionist receives all documents.


Alaska | Alabama | Arkansas | Arizona | California | Colorado | Connecticut | District of Columbia | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Iowa | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Maine | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | North Carolina | North Dakota | Nebraska | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | Nevada | New York | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Vermont | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming


Albania | Andorra | Anguilla | Antigua | Argentina | Armenia | Australia | Austria | Azerbaijan | Bahamas | Barbados | Belarus | Belgium | Belize | Bermuda | Bosnia and Herzegovina | Botswana | Brazil | British Honduras | British Virgin Islands | Bulgaria | Canada | Cayman Islands | Central and Southern Line Islands | Chile|China (Macao) | China People’s Republic | Colombia | Costa Rica | Country of Georgia | Croatia | Cyprus | Czech Republic | Denmark | Dominican Republic | Ecuador | Egypt | Estonia | Falkland Islands and Dependences | Fiji | Finland | France | Germany | Gibraltar | Gilbert and Ellice Islands | Greece | Guernsey | Hong Kong | Hungary | Iceland | India | Ireland | Isle of Man | Israel | Italy | Jamaica | Japan | Jersey Channel Islands | Jordan | Kazakhstan | Korea | Kuwait | Latvia | Lithuania | Luxembourg| Malawi | Malaysia | Malta | Mauritius | Mexico| MonacoMontenegro | Montserrat | Morocco | Namibia | Netherlands| New Zealand |Nicaragua | Norway | Pakistan | Panama | Paraguay | Peru | Philippines | Pitcairn |Poland| Portugal | Republic of Moldova | Republic of North Macedonia | Romania |Russian Federation | Saint Vincent and the Grenadines | San Marino | Saudi Arabia | Serbia | Seychelles | Singapore| Slovakia | Slovenia | South Africa | Spain | Sri Lanka | St. Helena and Dependencies | St. Lucia | Sweden | Switzerland | Taiwan | Thailand | Tunisia | Turkey | Turks and Caicos Islands| UkraineUnited Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland | Uruguay | US Virgin Islands | Uzbekistan | Venezuela | Vietnam


New York: (212) 203-8001 – 590 Madison Avenue, 21st Floor, New York, New York 10022
Brooklyn: (347) 983-5436 – 300 Cadman Plaza West, 12th Floor, Brooklyn, New York 11201
Queens: (646) 357-3005 – 118-35 Queens Blvd, Suite 400, Forest Hills, New York 11375
Long Island: (516) 208-4577 – 626 RXR Plaza, 6th Floor, Uniondale, New York 11556
Westchester: (914) 414-0877 – 50 Main Street, 10th Floor, White Plains, New York 10606
Connecticut: (203) 489-2940 – 500 West Putnam Avenue, Suite 400, Greenwich, Connecticut 06830
New Jersey: (201) 630-0114 – 101 Hudson Street, 21 Floor, Jersey City, New Jersey 07302
Washington DC: (202) 655-4450 – 1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. Suite 300, Washington DC 20004

Simply pick up the phone and call Toll Free (800) 774-6922 or click the service you want to purchase. Our dedicated team of professionals is ready to assist you. We can handle all of your process service needs; no job is too small or too large!  For a complete list of our Vermont Process Service Coverage Areas, Click Here!

Contact us for more information about our process-serving agency. We are ready to provide service of process to all our clients globally from our offices in New York, Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island, Westchester, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Washington, D.C.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives” – Foster, William A


1. Delivery of the summons and complaint to the Attorney General or the Deputy Attorney General of Vermont serves it upon the State of Vermont or any agency or official thereof. County service is accomplished by providing a copy of the summons and complaint to the county clerk or treasurer.   

2. Delivery of a copy of the summons and complaint to an officer, managing or general agent, superintendent, member, or other agent appointed or authorized by law to receive service of process upon a partnership, unincorporated association, or joint stock company; provided that any additional notice required by a statute authorizing an agent to receive service will also be given.

3. Copies may be given to any person employed by the company or to one of the shareholders. If none of these individuals can be located in the state, they may be left at an office or place of business of the corporation.

4. Whose contact or activity in the state, or such contact or activity imputable to that person, is sufficient to support a personal judgment against that person.

5. Where the person to be served has an interest in, title to, or right to the possession of goods, chattels, rights, credits, land, tenements, or hereditaments in the state which has been or on pending motion may be attached or secured by trustee process in the commencement of the action or will be affected by a judgment in action.  Where the person to be served is one against whom a judgment for divorce or annulment of marriage is sought.

6. Serving upon a state official acting as a statutory agent for the service of process may be done by sending a copy of the summons and complaint to the officer through first-class mail and postage prepaid if permitted by the relevant legislation. Such service shall be through delivery to the defendant outside the state by registered or certified mail, with limited delivery and return receipt desired.

7. A copy of the order as published must be sent to the defendant at his or her last known address if one is known, and the order must specify which newspaper or publications of broad circulation are to be used. The order must also specify the day each publication will occur. Within twenty days of the order being issued, the summons must be published for the first time.

8. The court shall impose the costs incurred in effecting service on a defendant located within any state or territory of the United States if the defendant fails to comply with a request for waiver made by a plaintiff located within any state or territory of the United States unless good cause for the failure is shown.


The information contained herein has been prepared in compliance with Section 107 of the Copyright Act. Fair use is a legal doctrine that promotes freedom of expression by permitting the unlicensed use of copyright-protected works. The articles/Images contained herein serve as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, educational, and research-as examples of activities that qualify as fair use. Undisputed Legal Inc. is a Process Service Agency and “Not A Law Firm” therefore the articles/images contained herein are for educational purposes only, and not intended as legal advice.